Disclaimer – Guys, this post might not be for you – especially if you are of the familial male variety… please just click on over somewhere else and come back another day!
Now that I have that out of the way – today’s topic is something that I never expected to be so near and dear to me, but has become one of my absolute favorite green/healthy lifestyle changes I’ve made for my personal health. Seriously.
I’m talking about reusable menstrual products and yes, I love them!
I began using cloth pads a little over a year ago and will never turn back.
I started by sewing a few of my own based on several tutorials I found online. Since I had some leftover cloth diaper fabrics on hand, I figured this would be the best way to get a feel for how they work (pun intended!!) and I wouldn’t be spending any extra money until I knew whether I was going to stick with it. I am happy to say, that even with my crude trial pads, I was sold immediately.
I used those pads for a while, all while researching better handmade options. I finally found a shop with pads that met all of my criteria and ordered a small trial set and fell in love. So much so that I now have a complete “stash” from Mother Moon Pads.
Denelle makes absolutely comfortable pads that fit well and work so well it’s amazing! She has a variety of choices ranging from liners to postpartum and they are all so cute!
They are very simple to care for (basically the same as cloth diapers). I store mine in a wetbag until ready to wash. Then soak with Oxiclean overnight and wash with a diaper safe detergent, dry on high heat with no added softeners or static reducers.
I love Mother Moon Pads!
Some added benefits of using cloth:
* Nothing bad for my body. No chemicals or other nasty stuff close to my most sensitive places.
* Shorter, lighter periods. This is thought to be due to the lack of chemicals.
* Significantly less cramping. I have always had heavy cramps and I’m so happy to be able to say that my cramping has decreased so much it’s noticeable by Michael (I complain less)! I had thought for many years that I was extra sensitive to all those chemicals and such, but had no idea there were other options out there and am so thankful my eyes were opened to this new method.
* Incredibly cost effective. After the initial investment, you will probably go many years without having to purchase new pads, making your monthly cost much lower than if you were purchasing commercial hygiene products each month.
* I feel clean (well, as clean as one can feel during that time…)
* No crinkly noises or papery feel
* Edited to add: Have you ever had pad rash? If so, this will most likely cure that. Since there’s no uncomfortable rubbing, there’s no chafing or irritation!
Have you ever tried or do you currently use cloth pads? Did I miss any of the extra benefits?
This post is linked to Things I Love Thursday.
** I am in no way affiliated with Mother Moon Pads. I just love them and wanted you to know!
** This post may contain affiliate links. Which means, if you click on one of the links I may receive a small commission or other compensation.