Do you remember this post and my gigantic pumpkins? Well, today was the day I tackled some of the preserving.
We had a regular size pumpkin from a pumpkin patch we visited and our 2 ginormous pumpkins. I chose to take care of the two smaller ones today (and we’ve since decided to sell the 76lb-er on Craigslist). I started this process just after lunch today and just now (at 9pm) closed up shop and I’m not even finished yet.
Today yielded me 15 pints of puree for the freezer and I still have about 4-6 more pints that are baked, peeled and chopped and ready to be pureed but I didn’t have any more standing up left in me today (since I’ve been standing for the better part of the last 8 hours).
I also have enough pumpkin seeds to be roasted to last us a long while. They’ve been washed and I’ll roast them tomorrow.
In other preserving news, here’s what I have done and still have on the to-do list:
* Apple butter – done (2 pints and 8 half-pints)
* Apple pie filling – decided to just make a few batches of apple crisp instead
* Tomato/pasta sauce – (1.5 pints done and still have lots of tomatoes ripening, will probably have enough to make a few pints by the end of next week) DONE
* Jalapenos – done (half pint)
* Tomatoes; dehydrated – (have dehydrated a few pounds and will probably do the same with the stragglers that are the last to ripen once I’ve canned all that I can)